Media Releases

MACARTHUR HEIGHTS RESIDENTS WANT A BUS SERVICE NOT LIP SERVICE

October 14, 2020

Campbelltown MP Greg Warren has condemned the Minister for Transport and Roads, Andrew Constance, for refusing to establish a bus service in the suburb of Macarthur Heights despite making hundreds of millions of dollars from land sales in the estate.

 

Mr Warren and frustrated locals have campaigned for years for a bus service to be introduced in the estate which is currently located in a public transport black hole.

 

Recently, Mr Warren submitted a question on notice to the Minister through the Parliament of NSW asking: why a bus service had not been established in Macarthur Heights; if there were any plans to establish a bus service in the estate; and why services had not been established in every new suburb throughout Campbelltown.

 

The Minister’s response was dismissive and did not directly answer any of the questions.

 

“Macarthur Heights is constrained by the Hume Highway to the west, Narellan Road to the north and the rail corridor to both the east and south, resulting in limited road access.

 

The introduction of new bus services to Macarthur Heights would be dependent on operational constraints, including availability of new fleet and the ability for buses to efficiently service the area.

 

Opportunities to introduce a new bus service will be considered as part of ongoing service planning activities to support residential growth in the suburb.” – Minister for Transport and Roads, Andrew Constance.

 

 

Data obtained via a Freedom of Information request showed the government had sold 633 properties – totalling more than $285 million – in Macarthur Heights in the past five financial years.

 

Mr Warren said Minister Constance and his NSW Liberal colleagues were simply treating residents of Macarthur Heights like cash cows.

 

“This government has made an absolute motser out of flogging off land in Macarthur Heights, yet it refuses to stump up the funds to establish a much-needed bus service,” Mr Warren said.

 

“This is not a big ask.

 

“Many residents are forced to walk several kilometres to Macarthur train station – which is an arduous task in the middle of summer – or pay for a taxi or Uber.

 

“These people live in suburbia in metropolitan Sydney, not on isolated farms in rural NSW.

 

“It beggars belief that the nearest public transport access is so far away for many Macarthur Heights residents.

 

“Minister Constance needs to stop dodging simple questions and explain exactly why the government refuses to establish the service.

 

“I doubt Minister Constance would be able to find his way out to Macarthur Heights without the help of his ministerial driver or Google Maps anyway.”

SIGN UP FOR UPDATES